Geetha Rao Sant
Director, Entrepreneurship and Intellectual Property Clinic and Lecturer in Law
A.B., Duke University
J.D., Washington University
Phone / Email
Phone: (314) 935-8815
Anheuser-Busch Hall, Room 125
Tina Parker - (314) 935-7238
Entrepreneurship and Intellectual Property Clinic
Nonprofit Organizations Planning and Drafting
Geetha Rao Sant is a Lecturer in Law and Co-Director of the Entrepreneurship and Intellectual Property Clinic for the law school, overseeing the Business Organizations aspect of the Clinic. Sant is a former adjunct professor for the Master’s Program in Nonprofit Business Management at Washington University’s University College, where she has taught Legal Issues Impacting Nonprofits.
With over 22 years experience in corporate law practice focusing on for-profit and nonprofit organizations, Sant has lectured extensively on various aspects of corporate governance. Her expertise includes board of director governance training, effective use of volunteers, board member relations and responsibilities, employee volunteer programs, strategic planning, compensation standards and audit overview.
Sant is an active nonprofit volunteer having served as chair and in other various capacities on the board of numerous educational, arts, and human service nonprofits.
Previously, Sant was a partner at The Stolar Partnership LLP in St. Louis, where she co-chaired the firm’s corporate department. Her practice focused on providing legal services and counsel to varied sizes of for-profit and nonprofit clients, from entrepreneurial start-ups to well established Fortune 50 companies and national nonprofits. She represented clients on corporate compliance and governance matters, corporate transactions, Federal securities matters, mergers, acquisitions and consolidations, and executive compensation.
- "The New Hybrid Social Enterprise Models and Their Effect on Nonprofits" Startup Training Lab Handbook (forthcoming)
- "Introduction: New Directions in Community Lawyering, Social Entrepreneurship & Dispute Resolution" (with Karen Tokarz), 48 Washington University Journal of Law & Public Policy 1 (2015) [Article]
- “Non-Tax Aspects of Mergers and Acquisitions,” Missouri Bar Business Organizations Deskbook
- Missouri Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Career Services Mentor
- PPSLR Women's Leadership Council Co-Chair
- Compensation Standards for Charities
- So You're a Start-Up? Start by Selecting the Right Entity For You
- Protecting Your Most Valuable Asset; Trademark Licensing
- Corporate Compliance Audit Overview
- Nonprofit Governance Reforms
- Board of Directors Governance Training
- Nonprofit Corporate Compliance Program
- Corporate Governance Best Practices
- Effective Use of Outsiders and Volunteers
- Division of Roles Within the Corporate Entity
- Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
- Volunteerism Today
- Employee Volunteer Program
- Managing Your Management; Protecting Your Assets From the Inside Out
- Plan Today for Tomorrow;Strategic Planning 101
- Trustee,Officer, Employee,Volunteer; What Hat Are You Wearing?
- Entrepreneurship and the Law
- What is Social Enterprise?