Ronald M. Levin specializes in administrative law and has published widely in that field. He has testified before Congress on regulatory reform issues, and participates actively in the work of the American Bar Association and the Administrative Conference of the United States.
Professor Levin’s coauthored books on administrative law include a casebook and a student text. He has published numerous articles and book chapters on administrative law topics, including judicial review, rulemaking, and legislative reform of the regulatory process. He also has written about the law of lobbying and legislative ethics. Professor Levin has been active in the ABA Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice for more than three decades and served as its Chair in 2000-01. He currently represents the Section in the ABA House of Delegates. He is a senior fellow of the Administrative Conference of the United States and has chaired its Judicial Review Committee. Before joining the law faculty, Professor Levin clerked for the Hon. John C. Godbold, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and practiced for three years in Washington, D.C., with the firm of Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan. He was the Associate Dean of the School of Law from 1990-1993.
- B.A., Yale University, 1972
- J.D., University of Chicago, 1975
- Administrative Law
- Civil Procedure
- Election Law
- Immigration Law
- Areas of Expertise
- Administrative Law
- Legislative Law
- The APA and the Assault on Deference, 106 Minnesota Law Review 125 (2021)
- State and Federal Administrative Law (5th ed. 2020) (with Michael Asimow).
- Administrative Law and Process in a Nutshell (6th ed. 2017) (with Jeffrey S. Lubbers).
- “The Regulatory Accountability Act and the Future of APA Revision,” 94 Chicago-Kent Law Review 487 (2019).
- “Rulemaking and the Guidance Exemption,” 70 Administrative Law Review 263 (2018) (selected by the ABA Administrative Law Section as the best work of administrative law published in 2018).
- “Making Sense of Issue Exhaustion in Rulemaking,” 70 Administrative Law Review 177 (2018).
- “Administrative Procedure and Judicial Restraint,” 129 Harvard Law Review Forum 338 (2016).
See CV for additional publications.
- Activity and Affiliations
- Member, ABA House of Delegates, since 2014
- Senior Fellow, Administrative Conference of the United States, since 2017 (former chair, Judicial Review Committee, 2012-17)
- Member of the American Law Institute, since 2013
- ABA Advisor, Drafting Committee to Revise the Model State Administrative Procedure Act (Uniform Law Commission), 2007-10
- Chair, ABA Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice, 2000-01.
See CV for additional activities.
- Download CV