Semester Exchange Programs
The law school has exchange agreements with fourteen foreign law schools. Each exchange partner offers a number of courses in English (and at several, the main language of instruction is English). In each program, exchange students study alongside local law students at the undergraduate and/or graduate level.
The fourteen exchange partners are: Fudan University in China; National University of Singapore in Singapore; Universidade Catolica Portuguesa in Portugal; Utrecht University in The Netherlands; University of Trento in Italy; Queen's University Belfast in Northern Ireland; Korea University in Korea; L’Université Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne in France; National Taiwan University in Taiwan; Hong Kong University in Hong Kong; Bucerius Law School in Germany; Université de Cergy Pontoise in France; University of Queensland in Australia; and IDC-Herzliya in Israel.
Interested students should complete the Study Abroad Application (available online or through Rachael Johnson, at email@example.com) and return it to Rachael Johnson no later than the second Monday in February. Questions about any of these study-abroad programs should also be directed to Mike Koby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fudan University is one of the top universities in China, and its law school is among the elite law faculties in that country. Located in Shanghai, Fudan has exchange programs with schools around the world. Although the chief language of instruction is Chinese, the school offers a handful of courses each semester (usually international and trans-national) in English, for local and international students.
- Home Page: http://www.ilaw.fudan.edu.cn/
- Information for International Students: Not applicable; contact with university.
In the past, courses have included International Law, International Business Law, Commercial Law,and International Financial Law. In addition, Chinese language courses are available.
Priding itself as “Asia’s Global Law School,” the National University of Singapore Law School is part of the oldest university in Singapore. It draws its students from almost 50 countries. It is the premier law school in Singapore and hosts the internationally famous Asia-Pacific Centre for Environmental Law as well as the Centre for Commercial Law Studies. NUS has strong course offerings in banking and finance, biomedical law, commercial law, comparative law, corporate law, criminal law, intellectual property, international law, social justice, public law, and transportation law There are two semesters: early August through early December and mid-January through mid-May. The language of instruction is English.
- Home Page: http://law.nus.edu.sg/
- Information for International Students:http://law.nus.edu.sg/student_matters/student_ex/incoming_exchanges.html
- Course Listings: http://law.nus.edu.sg/student_matters/course_listing/elective_subjects.html
The Catholic University of Portugal has several campuses around Portugal. Our exchange program is with the Faculty of Law on the Lisbon campus. This is one of the most innovative and ambitious European law faculties, with two new English-language LL.M. programs introduced in recent years. Although the chief language of instruction is Portuguese, there are a large number of courses offered in English, both for the LL.M. programs and for the main course of study.
- Home Page: http://www.catolicalaw.fd.lisboa.ucp.pt/
- LL.M. Law Information for International Students:http://www.catolicalaw.fd.lisboa.ucp.pt/en/programmes/ll-m-law-in-a-european-and-global-context/e-brochure
- LL.M. International Business Law Information for International Students:http://www.catolicalaw.fd.lisboa.ucp.pt/en/programmes/ll-m-international-business-law
Utrecht University in the city of Utrecht, the Netherlands, has a history reaching back to the 7th century. Six Nobel prize winners have been associated with Utrecht, which has the largest teaching staff of all the Dutch universities. Because Utrecht is an international university serving the entire European community, a large number of law courses are offered in English. Utrecht has very strong programs in international trade, international law and human rights.
- Home Page: http://www.uu.nl/faculty/leg/en/organisation/schools/schooloflaw/Pages/default.aspx
- Information for International Students: click here to view web page
- Course Listings: click here to view webpage
Note: The OSIRIS system is principally in Dutch. With some ingenuity, you can figure it out, but feel free to contact Peter Cramer if you have questions.
- Home Page: http://www.jus.unitn.it/home-en.html
- Information for International Students: http://web.unitn.it/files/download/14068/guideinternationalstudentsweb.pdf
- Course Listings: http://web.unitn.it/en/incoming/14068/academic-offer
- Home Page: http://www.law.qub.ac.uk/
- Video about the University: https://vimeo.com/68047196
- Information for International Students: http://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/iss
- International Student Pre-Arrival Guide:http://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/iss/Filestore/Filetoupload,512787,en.pdf
- Course Listings: http://www.law.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofLaw/StudyattheSchool/PostgraduateStudies/PostgraduateTaught/
The Korea University College of Law is the top-ranked law school in the nation. Located in Seoul, the law school has a 90-year history as a prominent player in the development of Korea's constitutional and justice system.
- Home Page: http://www.korealawschool.com/eng/overview.asp
- Information for International Students:http://oia.korea.ac.kr/main.do
- Course Listings: Contact the university directly
Located in Taipei, National Taiwan University has the largest full-time law faculty of any law school in Taiwan. Dating from 1927, the law faculty features research institutions in Civil Law, Technology and Law, Public Law, Criminal Law, Finance and Economic Law, Human Rights, and International Trade.
Rich in academic tradition that spans eight centuries, the Sorbonne has a top tier law school and a strong presence in the international community. The law school curriculum provides students with a strong foundation of the institutions and key concepts of French law and European law. Under the terms of the agreement with the Sorbonne, Washington University students will earn a JD from Washington University and a first-level Masters (M1) from the Sorbonne. Washington University students will have access to the entire masters-level course catalog at the Sorbonne. This catalog includes both English-language (mostly French and European business-law courses) and French-language courses. Because at least a significant portion of this program will be taught in French, it is intended for Washington University students with sufficient French language competency to handle the course work.
- Home Page: http://llm-droit.univ-paris1.fr
- Information for International Students: http://www.univ-paris1.fr/fileadmin/diplome_07UF/plaquette-llm-web_07-2010.pdf
- Course Listings: Accessible from the above main site.
- Home Page: http://www.hku.hk/law/
- Information for International Students:https://www.law.hku.hk/prospectivestudents/incoming_exchange.php?q=support
- Course Information:
- Home Page: http://www.law-school.de/home.html?&L=1
- Information for International Students:http://www.law-school.de/international/prospective-students/international-exchange-program/
- Course Listingshttp://www.law-school.de/fileadmin/content/law-school.de/de/units/abt_int-office/pdf/2015_ip_course-catalogue.pdf
- Home Page: http://www.u-cergy.fr/fr/index.html
- Information for International Students: http://www.droitucp.fr/pg/international/study_at_ucp.php
- Course Listings: Can be found at the site directly above
The law school and UQ’s TC Beirne School of Law have been offering a four-year combined degree program since fall 2011.The program allows U.S. students to study at both Washington University’s and UQ’s law schools. Upon completing the degree program, the U.S. graduates will earn a J.D. from Washington University and an LL.M. from UQ. Australian participants will enter the LL.M. program at Washington University after completing the UQ LL.B. program.
- University of Queensland Home Page: http://www.law.uq.edu.au/
- Information for International Students: Contact the university
- Course Listings: http://www.law.uq.edu.au/student-resources
- Home Page: http://portal.idc.ac.il/en/schools/Law/
- Information for International Students: http://portal.idc.ac.il/en/schools/Law/international/Pages/StudentExchange.aspx
- Course Listingshttp://portal.idc.ac.il/en/schools/Law/international/Pages/StudentExchange.aspx