Joel is a principal at HarnessIP. Joel litigates in federal and state court and handles e-commerce disputes, domain name enforcement proceedings, and International Trade Commission investigations. Joel also handles USPTO proceedings, including post-grant review proceedings and TTAB oppositions and cancellations, Additionally, Joel negotiates a wide variety of agreements, including settlement, license, and inventor development arrangements. Joel also prosecutes trademark and copyright registrations. Joel further manages trademark portfolios and handles worldwide enforcement efforts for well-known international companies.
Joel is involved in a variety of organizations such as serving as a Director on St. Louis County’s Industrial Development Board, and, the Dads of Concord Elementary group. Joel is a member of the Bar Association of St. Louis’ Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Steering Committee as a past-chairman. Joel is also part of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity as a 2023 LCLD Fellow.
Personally, Joel was born in Calcutta, India. Joel grew up in the Midwest and on the Big Island of Hawaii. Joel has also lived in Israel and worked in Pennsylvania, Atlanta, and New York City. Outside of the office, Joel is a music enthusiast and a multi-instrumentalist who has played at Carnegie Hall. Joel also enjoys hiking, fishing, and gardening. Joel also attempts to be a DIY person around the house and has been on an episode of the TV series Ask This Old House.
- D., Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, 2008
- A., Economics, magna cum laude, Saint Louis University, 2005
- A., Political Science, magna cum laude, Saint Louis University, 2005
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Areas of Expertise
- Trade Secrets
- IP Litigation
- Activity and Affiliations
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis: Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law Section; Chair, 2021 – 2022; Chair-Elect, 2020 – 2021; Secretary, 2019 – 2020; Steering Committee Member 2012 – present
- Industrial Development Authority Board, St. Louis County, Board of Directors 2023
- Penn State Law School, Pro Bono Counsel & Advisor to the Intellectual Property Clinic
- American Bar Association
- Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers, Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2018-2023
- Best Lawyers, Litigation – Patent, 2021-2023
- Best Lawyers, Trademark Law, 2020-2023
- Missouri Super Lawyers, 2020-2021
- Missouri Super Lawyers, “Rising Star,” 2019
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, “Up & Coming,” 2019
- Woolsack Honor Society
- Penn State International Law Review, Executive Editor