The JD/MSP joint degree offers students the opportunity to gain advanced legal training with critical knowledge and skills in social policy analysis, evaluation, management and leadership and will prepare students for positions in the public and private sector and address the growing need for technical policy training.

Who should consider a JD/MSP?

A student who is interested in:

  • Social policy research and analysis
  • Government administration and service
  • Policy organizations and think tanks

How do I apply for the program?

A separate application must be submitted to both the law school and the Brown School. Please indicate to both schools, at the time you apply, that you are seeking admission as a joint-degree candidate. WashULaw will grant all current Washington University graduate students who wish to pursue a joint degree an application fee waiver.

How long does it take to earn a JD/MSP?

The JD/MSP takes four years or less to complete. Students must comply with the admission requirements for both degree programs. The equivalent of five semesters (earning 77 credits) are spent at the law school and three semesters (earning 31 credits) are at the Brown School. Students who start in one program are welcome to apply to the other program and begin the JD/MSP in their second year of school.

Why Washington University?

WashULaw and the Brown School are top-ranked schools in their respective fields. Both schools have outstanding placement rates and offer an extensive alumni network.  Students in the JD/MSW degree program have access to the incredible resources of the Career Center at the law school and the Career Services office at Brown.

Who should I contact if I need additional information?

  • Email the Admissions Office or call (314) 935-4525.
  • For questions related to tuition and financial aid, please email Carrie Burns, Assistant Director of Financial Aid and Student Services, or call (314) 935-4605.
  • For questions related to registration and residency or other course requirements, please email Sarah Hellin, Registrar, or call (314) 935-7458.
  • For questions about academic advising, please email Elizabeth Walsh, Associate Dean of Student Services, or call (314) 935-5861.