The Prosecution Law Clinic provides real-life lawyering experience in the criminal prosecution system at the state trial level. Students’ primary experience will be to serve as Rule 13 certified attorneys with the St. Louis County Prosecutor’s Office in St. Louis County. Students in the clinic have the opportunity to handle or assist experienced prosecutors in handling, the prosecution of state-level crimes in St. Louis County while also gaining exposure to the legal and ethical problems that litigators, and prosecutors specifically, face in practice.
Typical Student Activities
Students in the clinic will use and develop the following lawyering skills:
- Legal analysis and reasoning
- Legal research
- Factual investigation
- Interviewing and preparation
- Oral and written communication
- Organization and management of legal work
- Recognizing and resolving ethical dilemmas and the prosecutor’s special responsibilities.
Clinic students will be a part of case reviews and meetings with victims, lay and professional witnesses. Some of these meetings may involve sensitive or emotionally difficult subject matter.