Although Washington University is located in a major metropolitan area, very affordable and accessible housing immediately surrounds the Danforth Campus. Most law school students live in privately owned housing within a 3-mile radius of Campus. In order to assist you with finding a place to live, we suggest several options:
Housing Days: The Admissions Office hosts one “Housing Day” during the summer to assist admitted students find affordable housing. The program consists of a tour of the neighborhoods where most students live and a chance to see a few local apartment complexes. Please contact the Admissions Office at 314-935-4525 for more information. We will also provide information on the Admitted Students Bulletin Board (password protected).
University Owned Off-Campus Housing: Washington University provides some graduate housing, available through Quadrangle Housing. These University-owned units are close to campus and situated along the University’s Shuttle route. You may contact Quadrangle Housing at 314-935-9511 or 800-874-4330.
More Housing Links: (links open in a new browser window)
- City Government Departments
- Explore St. Louis
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Classifieds
- Riverfront Times Backpage.com
- Welcome Home sponsored by KSDK Newschannel 5
Electricity: AmerenUE - http://www.ameren.com
St. Louis-based customers: 314-342-1111
All other customers: 800-552-7583
Payments: P.O. Box 66529, St. Louis, MO 63166-6529
Phone Center Hours: Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to report emergencies.
Gas: Laclede Gas Company - http://www.lacledegas.com
Main Number: 314-621-6960
To Establish Service: Call the Customer Relations Department at 314-621-6960 between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday (toll calls: 1-800-887-4173). You will need to call at least 24 hours before you want to establish service. It is best to plan ahead to avoid asking for your service to begin on a Sunday or a holiday because those days are reserved for emergency work. New customers will be charged $36 for initiation of service. A customer may choose to have the total fee billed on one month’s bill or spread over four months. New customers may also require a security deposit.
Telephone: SBC - http://www.sbc.com
Main Number: 800-203-7070
Logistical Information: There is a connect fee of $36.50 plus tax which may be paid in a lump sum or installments. This fee is only for the connection of a basic phone line. Additionally, depending on your credit, an advance deposit may be required.
Water: St. Louis City Water Division - http://www.stlwater.com
General Information: 314-771-2255
Water Quality Information: 314-868-5640
Payments: Department of Public Utilities, 1640 S. Kingshighway, St. Louis, MO 63110
Hours: Monday through Friday from 8.a.m. – 5 p.m.
To establish residency in Missouri, you must apply for a Missouri driver license even if you have a valid driver license from another state. As a new Missouri resident (with an out-of-state driver license), you will need to take the following to a Missouri Department of Motor Vehicles when you apply for your license:
- Out-of-state driver license (valid, or expired no more than 184 days)
- One other acceptable document for proof of identity (i.e. a Social Security card)
Vision and road sign tests are required, but you may take those tests at the driver license office. You are required to surrender your out-of-state license when you receive your new Missouri driver license. There is a fee of $20 for your new Missouri driver license, which is valid for 6 years.
Missouri Department of Revenue Driver Licensing Locations, St. Louis only:
AAA St. Louis License Office
3917 Lindell Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63108
Office Hours: Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. – 5 a.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Northside Contract Office
1330 Aubert, Ste. 102B
St. Louis, MO 63113-0000
Office Hours - Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. and the first & last Saturday of the month from 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
South Kingshighway Contract
4628 South Kingshighway
St. Louis, MO 63109
Office Hours: Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m – 12 p.m
St. Louis City Hall License Office
1200 Market St., Room 106
St. Louis, MO 63103
Office Hours: Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Additional office locations can be found at: http://www.dor.mo.gov/mvdl/offloc/
If you have to title your car, you might consider having your car licensed in Missouri and get your very own “Show Me” plates. You are required to title your vehicle within 30 days of becoming a Missouri citizen. To obtain a title and registration, you must have the following documents:
- A vehicle ownership document (i.e. title, registration certificate)
- A signed application for Missouri Title and License (DOR-108)
- A current insurance identification card
- A statement of non-assessment to showing you do not owe personal property taxes in St. Louis
- A Missouri safety inspection not more than 60 days old.
- An emissions inspection not more than 60 days old if your vehicle is registered to operate in St. Louis City, St. Louis County, St. Charles County, Franklin County, or Jefferson County.
- Identification number and odometer (ID/OD) inspection - All motor vehicles previously titled in another state or country must be inspected to verify the vehicle identification number and odometer reading of the vehicle. A Missouri authorized inspection station can complete this inspection.
Please note: It is not necessary to have a Missouri driver license to obtain Missouri plates for your car. Click here for more information.
If you do get Missouri plates, you will be subject to an annual property tax on your car (cars and boats are treated, for tax purposes, like houses). The rate varies by county, since the County Assessor’s office determines the rate, and may be waived for your first year if you are new to the state. The tax is determined based on your place of residence on January 1 prior to registration.
University Car Registration
Washington University Parking & Transportation
The campus at Washington University in St. Louis is located in an urban area and, as a result, parking is limited. Students wishing to park on the campus will have to purchase a Washington University parking permit. The different types of permits available are:
- Yellow Permits are available at the annual rate of $500 per year to faculty, staff and commuter students, and are always valid in yellow zones. The student yellow permit is never valid in brown or blue zones during academic sessions, but is valid in brown and blue zones during specified break periods. The yellow permit is valid in certain red spaces (unless marked by 24 hour designation signage) between 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. weekdays, and all day Saturday and Sunday.
- Short Term Passes (Daily & Monthly) are available to faculty, staff, students, and visitors to be used in yellow zones.
Daily scratch off parking passes are available for an estimated cost of $5.00 (please visit the Parking & Transportation website for more information [http://parking.wustl.edu/]). Daily passes may be purchased directly from Parking Services.
Monthly passes are available for an estimated cost of $100.00 (please visit the Parking & Transportation website for more information [http://parking.wustl.edu/]).
- Motorcycle Permits are available at the estimated annual rate of $15.00 and are issued for motorcycles, motor scooters, and motorbikes, all of which must be registered with Parking Services under the same conditions as other vehicles and are subject to all University parking regulations (please visit the Parking & Transportation website. Motorcycle permits are valid only in areas designated for motorcycles. For the safety of pedestrians, motorcycles, motorbikes, and motor scooters may not be driven on campus walkways.
Sometimes, two wheels are better than four. If you do ride your bike, register your ride with the Campus Police and park it at many of the bike racks around campus (with two at the law school).
St. Louis is a very pet friendly city. In fact, the canine-savvy experts of www.dogfriendly.com have named St. Louis as one of the Top 10 Dog-Friendly Vacation Destinations in North America. The research team, because of the number and quality of dog-friendly accommodations and attractions, recognized the Gateway City. Below is a list of great websites dedicated to St. Louis pets:
- American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog
- Article on St. Louis Pet-Friendly Hotels
- Bark in the Park
- The Cat Network
- Critter Sitters
- Dog Parks of Greater St. Louis
- Grant’s Farm
- Humane Society of Missouri
- Moving With Your Pet
- People With Pets St. Louis
- Pet-Friendly Rental Directory
- St. Louie Tails Pet Magazine
- St. Louis Pet-Friendly Hotels
- St. Louis Zoo
- Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation
- Turtle Park
- Wild Canid Survival and Research Center
- World Bird Sanctuary
Student Health Services
- WebSite - [http://shs.wustl.edu/Pages/default.aspx]
- General Office – Information: 314-935-6666
- Counseling & Psychiatry: 314-935-6666
- Director – Admin. Assistant: 314-935-9626
- Medical Appointments:314-935-6666
- Pharmacy: 314-935-6662
- Health Promotion Services:314-935-7139
- Fax: 314-935-8515
- Location: Student Health Services is located in the Health and Wellness Center in The Nathan Dardick House (terrace level) at the corner of Shepley Drive and Big Bend Boulevard.
- Mailing Address: Campus Box 1201, Washington University, One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899
All Health Insurance information can be found on the Student Health Services website. For more information, please contact Student Health Services directly.
- Playback, monthly magazine about “St. Louis Pop Culture.” CDs, local concerts, offbeat performances. Free.
- St. Louis Magazine, monthly magazine about shopping and life in St. Louis.
- What’s Up Magazine, bi-monthly non-profit magazine “distributed by and for the homeless and disadvantaged.” Sold for $1 suggested donation, 75 cents of which goes to the seller.
- Bank of America
Mallinckrodt, upper level (Branch) and main level (ATM)
Small Group Housing (ATM)
7800 Forsyth (main bank), 466-0460
4625 Lindell (CWE), 284-0525
- Citizens National Bank of Greater St. Louis
7305 Manchester Ave., 645-0666
- Commerce Bank
6630 Delmar, U City, 726-2255
8000 Forsyth, Clayton, 746-3000
6383 Clayton Rd., Clayton, 746-7420
- First National Bank
7707 Forsyth, Clayton, 862-8300
- Pioneer Bank & Trust Company
2211 S. Big Bend, 644-6600
- UMB Bank
Brentwood Promenade, 621-1000
- Banner Cleaners
500 S. Brentwood Blvd., Clayton, 725-4500
- DeMun Professional Cleaners
726 DeMun, Clayton, 721-6400
- Colonial Cleaners
2244 S. Brentwood Blvd., 961-3550
- Tip Top Cleaners
7600 Wydown, Clayton, 726-0939
8260 Forsyth, Clayton, 862-0321
6360 Clayton Rd., 644-4999
40 N. Euclid, CWE, 367-1720
- Al’s Wydown Laundry & Cleaners & Alterations
7620 Wydown, Clayton, 721-2004
8450 Eager Rd., 962-9009
6600 Clayton Rd., Richmond Hgts., 644-0510
6920 Olive, U City, 726-2373
8867 Ladue Rd., Ladue, 725-7574
9074 Overland Plaza, 426-3800
710 North Kingshighway, 361-3200
3431 Union, 381-8789
8800 Manchester, Brentwood, 961-5454
4171 Lindell, 533-8027
- Shop ‘N Save
10461 Manchester Road, 984-0900
8282 Forsyth, Clayton, 725-2121
302 N. Kingshighway, 361-6646
- Trader Joe’s
48 Brentwood Promenade Court, 963-0253
- Whole Foods
1601 S. Brentwood Blvd., 968-7744
- Office Depot
1024 S. Big Bend Blvd., 646-8100
6590 Manchester Ave., 645-4422
- Washington University Campus Bookstore
Mallinckrodt Center, 935-5500
- Student Health Services Pharmacy
Forsyth House So. 40, 935-6666
- Jennifer’s Pharmacy
30 N. Central, 862-7400
6700 Manchester Ave., 645-5902
6600 Clayton Rd., 644-0510
25 Brentwood Promenade Ct., 918-9500
6733 Clayton Rd., Clayton, 721-2033
2310 McCausland, 647-7810
2401 S. Brentwood, 963-1818
4218 Lindell, 371-4232
1900 Maplewood Commons Drive, 781-2165
- Williams Pharmacy
7010 Pershing Rd., University City, 727-4854
Post Offices, Shipping
US Post Office Locations [http://www.usps.com]
- On Campus, Small Group Housing, 935-5635
- 561 Kingsland Ave., University City, 800-275-8777
- 1201 S. Big Bend Blvd., Richmond Heights, 800-275-8777
- 7750 Maryland Ave., St. Louis, 800-275-8777
- 1409 Hamilton Ave., St. Louis, 800-275-8777
FedEx/Kinkos Locations [http://www.usps.com]
- On Campus, Mallinckrodt Student Center, 935-8481
- 8805 Ladue Rd., St. Louis, 725-8704
- 1901 S. Brentwood, Brentwood, 963-2700
The UPS Store [http://www.theupsstore.com]
- 6614 Clayton Rd., St. Louis, 781-7244
- 9648 Olive Blvd., Olivette, 569-0692
- 4579 Laclede Ave., St. Louis, 361-5505
St. Louis Galleria [http://www.stlgalleria.com/]
1155 Sait Louis Galeria, St. Louis, 863-6633
St. Louis Union Station
1820 Market St., St. Louis, 421-6655
97 Plaza Frontenac, St. Louis, 432-6760
Westfield Shopping Towns [http://www.westfield.com/uscentres/]
109 Crestwood Plz., .St. Louis, 962-3390
500 Northwest Plz #700, St. Ann, 656-2500
80 West County Ctr., St. Louis, 995-1432