Intersession for First-Years to Focus on Career Journey
During intersession, first-year law students will participate in The Road to Becoming the Fully Realized Professional, a new program developed by the Career Services Office to add depth to the students’ professional development and to increase their success during the job search process for both summer positions and their career after graduation.
The week-long program will begin with a presentation on “Taking Control of Your Career: How to Explore, Envision and Create the Future You Want, Starting as a 1L” by attorney Michael Melcher, author of The Creative Lawyer. It will continue with various sessions on employment and professional development topics.
“The students will participate in sessions exposing them to a multitude of ways in which they can use a law degree, offering skills assessments, providing information to enhance their interviewing and networking techniques, and introducing them to alumni and legal employers from throughout the country,” said Elaine Bourne, associate dean for career services. “Presenters will come from a wide range of backgrounds, employer types, geographic locations, and career stages. The students also will have the opportunity to meet representatives from various law firms, public interest and government agencies, and other organizations at two informal networking events -- the Practice Area Expo and Organization Showcase.”
Other highlights include sessions on:
- Market Report: Practice Area Overview, with Paul S. Williams, managing director and director of global diversity search, Major Lindsey & Africa
- Everything You Need To Know About Picking a Practice Area But Never Knew To Ask, with J. Danielle Carr, director of attorney professional development & inclusion, and several attorneys, with Greensfelder, Hemker & Gale, PC
- The “Secret Rules” of Lawyering, with Bradley Winters, partner, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, LLP
- The Components of Communicating Effectively, with Sandra M. Moore, JD ’79, president, Urban Strategies in St. Louis
- The Art of The Deal: An Interactive Look At theLife of a Deal, with attorneys from Armstrong Teasdale, LLP
- Litigation and the Indigent Client: An Interactive look at the Practice of a Public Defender, with attorneys from the Missouri Public Defender’s Office
- 1L Networking: Myths and Realities AboutTranslating Personal Relationships IntoProfessional Ones, with attorneys from IceMiller
- Navigating Relationships in the Legal Workplace, with ColleenTorell, legal recruiting and professionaldevelopment manager, Choate, Hall & Stewart
- Everything I Need to Know I’ll Learn in Law School?: The Business of Law School, with J. Clint Schumacher, partner, Locke Lord Bissell Liddell, LLP, and Michael Forster, managing partner, Sandberg, Phoenix & von Gontard, PC