Associate Dean of the Law Library and Senior Lecturer in Law Joyce McCray Pearson oversees the operations of the Law Library. Pearson has written chapters and articles on the subjects of law librarianship and administration; law and literature; diversity; and historical and current perspectives on civil rights. She has published articles in the Legal Reference Services Quarterly, American Association of Law Libraries Law Library Journal, Trends in Law Library Management and Technology, the Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy, and the Kansas Law Review.
Among Pearson’s professional memberships, she is active in the American Association of Law Libraries, the Mid-America Association of Law Libraries, the Association of American Law Schools, the American Bar Association, the Chinese and American Forum on Legal Information and Law Libraries and is a member of the Indiana Bar. She has served on numerous Site Evaluation Inspection Teams for the accreditation of law schools. Pearson received her Juris Doctorate from Washburn University School of Law, a Master of Librarianship and Certificate in Law Librarianship from the University of Washington in Seattle, WA, and a Bachelor of Music Education from Wichita State University. After law school, she was a solo practitioner focusing on contract drafting and family law. Pearson served as Reference Librarian at the University of Louisville from 1990 to 1994. She joined the Kansas University Wheat Law Library in 1994 as an Electronic Services Librarian, was promoted to Associate Director in 1995, and was appointed Director and Associate Professor of Law in 1997. Pearson joined the Washington University in St. Louis School of Law Library in 2015.
- M. L., University of Washington in Seattle, WA, 1990
- J.D. Washburn University School of Law, 1989
- B.M.E., Wichita State University, 1980
- Legal Research Methodologies
* Select Publications
- Not Everything That Counts Can Be Counted, 23(3) MAALL Markings, July, 2014.
- The Director and Law School Librarian’s Role as Educator, Inside the Minds Series, The Law School Librarian’s Role as An Educator, Aspatore (2008).
- Red and Black, A Divided Seminole Nation: U.S. vs. Davis, 14 Kan. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y 607 (2005).
- A Brief History of the University of Kansas School of Law Library, 51 U. Kan. L. Rev. 873 (2003).
- U.S. Government Directories, 1982-1996 Englewood, CO, Libraries Unlimited (1998).
- Activity and Affiliations
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association of American Law Schools
- American Bar Association
- Chinese and American Forum on Legal Information and Law Libraries
- Mid-America Association of Law Libraries
- State Bar of Indiana
- Honors and Awards
- Liberty Bell Award, Douglas County Bar Association, 2007
- GPA Outstanding Mentor Award, 2004
- Pathfinder Award, Lexis/Nexis, 1990
- Special Libraries Association, 1989
- Earl Warren Scholar, 1986
- Washburn Law School’s President’s Scholar, 1986
- Download CV