Information for Students
This page provides an outline of all of the steps that graduating students need to take before Commencement, on Commencement Day, and after Commencement, as you prepare to leave Washington University School of Law. Please bookmark this page and check back periodically for any updates. This information is subject to change before May 15, 2015. (updated 5/14/15)
Caps and gowns will be available for pick-up on the lower level of the campus bookstore, starting on May 11 - May 14. They are open until 7 pm on Thursday the 14th and open at 7:30 am on Friday. If the student wishes, a friend can pick up their regalia. They would just need to bring an email from the student authorizing them to pick it up; the email must include the graduating student's full name and student ID number.
All Graduates MAY:
- Order Commencement Announcements - If we missed you “in line,” just go “online”! Announcements, diploma frames, class rings, and other commencement material can also be ordered online, at Jostens.com/college—or call 1-800-854-7464. [Jostens website]
- Complete HomeTown News Release Information - The Office of Public Affairs would like to share news of your degree with your hometown paper.
ACTIVITIES COMMENCEMENT WEEK
- LL.M. Reception | Wednesday, May 13 | Janite Lee Reading Room (ABH-No. 452, 4th floor Library) | 6:00 p.m.
By invitation only
- Public Service Pro Bono Awards | Thursday, May 14 | Janite Lee Reading Room (ABH-No. 452, 4th floor Library) | 9:00 - 10:30 a.m.
By invitation only
- Clinical Education Program Graduation Open House| Thursday, May 14 | Clinic Suite (ABH-No. 105) | 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
By invitation only
- Academic Excellence Awards & Reception | Thursday, May 14 | Crowder Courtyard (ABH-No. 301) | 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
By invitation only
WHAT TO KNOW AND WHERE TO BE ON COMMENCEMENT DAY - MAY 15, 2015
- Hints to Help Your Day Go Smoothly
- Commencement Ceremonies will be held in the Brookings Quadrangle rain or shine. If the weather is sufficiently threatening to endanger safety, many of the commencement activites will be subject to change, please click here to view the most updated information concerning the law school graduates. Information is subject to changes.
Schedule of Events
- Commencement Packet: Click here to view packet in PDF.
- Law School Photo: 7:40 a.m. (Olin Library - east side) All graduates must be in regalia. (carry your hat, hood on)
- University Assembly: 8:10 a.m. after photo (Olin Library - east side) Wear hats and carry hoods.
Procession Order & Assembly Points (University Ceremony)
- University Ceremony: 8:30 a.m. (Law students will be acknowledged as a school.)
All Law School graduates are expected to attend the University Ceremony. In this ceremony, Law School graduates are invited to stand and be recognized as a class.The student divisions will follow the procession leaders according to the order shown on the Procession Order & Assembly Points Chart.
Candidates should march in front of or behind the person with whom they wish to sit – not side by side (see seating chart).
- Law School Reception: 11:00 a.m. (approx.) immediately following University Ceremony (Anheuser-Busch Hall, Crowder Courtyard)
- Law School Assembly (for students): 12:30 p.m. (south of Eads Hall)
- NEW UPDATE - LAW CEREMONY WILL BEGIN AT 1:00 p.m. (NEW TIME) (Brookings Quadrangle)
Cap and Gown Etiquette (University Ceremony)
- Candidates receiving graduate degrees should wear tassels on the left for the entire ceremony and carry the hood over their arm prior to the conferral of degrees, then hood one another when asked to do so by their dean.
- Caps are removed for the singing of "America the Beautiful."
Cap and Gown Etiquette (Law Recognition Ceremony)
- Candidates receiving degrees should wear tassels on the left, wear hood and hat for the entire ceremony.
Be Part of the Commencement Story with Social Media
Join in the law school’s celebration of Commencement 2015 through social media! Use the hashtag #WUSTL15 to be part of Washington University’s larger social media conversation on Commencement Day. #WUSTL15 messages will appear on the university’s Commencement site, commencement.wustl.edu, which also includes links to help you share news and photos of your big day on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and Instagram. To keep up with what is happening at the law school, follow us on Twitter using the handle @wulawnews to see interviews with students, photos of the day as it unfolds, links to Commencement-related articles, and more!
- May 15-17, 2015 - Rental regalia must be returned no later than May 17, 2015. On May 15, return regalia to the lower level of the Danforth Campus store. An additional site will be available between Simon Hall and Seigle Hall. After May 15, return regalia to the Danforth Campus store. For more information, please contact the bookstore’s general merchandise department at (314) 935-5606 or email@example.com.
Click here for more information.
Congratulations on your accomplishments! If today is your official graduation date, you can pick up your diploma after the ceremony under the overhang by Ridgley Hall.
YOU WILL NEED A PHOTO ID TO PICK UP YOUR DIPLOMA.
If you do not pick up your diploma today, you can pick it up from the Office of the University Registrar for approximately three weeks after commencement. After that it will be mailed to the address listed on your intent to graduate form.
Jeanetta Nixon | Events Department | firstname.lastname@example.org | 314.935.6551