Becoming a Scholar
The Webster Society Scholarships are awarded to entering first-year J.D. students with exemplary academic credentials and an established commitment to public service. Any interested applicant should submit a short statement summarizing involvement in public service activities along with his or her application for admission to be considered for this prestigious award, these materials must be sent in by February 1. Webster Scholars have demonstrated their commitment to public interest work in the following ways:
- Webster Scholars have worked with nonprofit organizations such as Americorps, United Way, Catholic Relief Services, Habitat for Humanity, and the Sierra Club.
- Before coming to law school, some Webster Society Scholars have attempted to increase the effectiveness of social services for minority populations, enforce existing environmental protection policies, and raise the minimum wage.
- As undergraduates, our Webster Scholars held positions in student government, served as mentors for academically and economically disadvantaged students, and started Amnesty International chapters.
- To obtain a more global perspective, some Webster Scholars have studied or worked abroad in countries such as Bolivia, Senegal, and Ecuador.
Membership in the Webster Society offers each scholar:
- Full-tuition scholarship for three years;
- Annual stipend of $5,000;
- Preferred status for summer faculty research positions;
- The opportunity to select and host a speaker for the School of Law’s Public Interest Law & Policy Speakers Series; and
- Invitation to the Webster Society Dinner hosted by the Chancellor of Washington University in St. Louis.
THE WEBSTER SOCIETY BRINGS TOGETHER TALENTED AND COMMITTED LAW STUDENTS WITH AN AMAZING ROLE MODEL, WHOSE INSPIRATIONAL CAREER SPANS MANY DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE LEGAL PROFESSION, BOTH PUBLIC AND PRIVATE. WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IS FORTUNATE TO HAVE JUDGE WEBSTER AND THE WEBSTER SCHOLARS AS ACTIVELY ENGAGED MEMBERS OF OUR SCHOOL OF LAW COMMUNITY.SUSAN FRELICH APPLETON