Do you need access to your Law School LexisNexis and Westlaw passwords over the summer? If so, you must (1) qualify and (2) make a request. Here’s how:
Go to http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/content.aspx?articleid=308&topicid=14&WT.ad=143 and fill out the required information. Your use must be for academic purposes which under the Lexis policy include, but are not limited to:
• Summer course preparation and assignments
• Research associated with Moot Court, Law Review, or Law Journal
• Research associated with pursuing a grant or scholarship
• Service as a paid or unpaid research assistant to a professor
• An internship, externship or clinic position for school credit or graduation requirement
• Study for the bar exam
• Research skill improvement for educational purposes
Clerkships that are not for course credit do not qualify.
Lexis also has a program for those students working in public interest for a 501(c)(3) program. Information about the ASPIRE program: http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/content.aspx?articleid=733&topicid=11&WT.ad=150
Go to http://lawschool.westlaw.com/registration/summerextension.aspx and confirm that you meet their academic purposes definition
- Summer law school classes; or
- Law Review and Journal work; or
- Project for a professor; or
- Moot Court; or
- Unpaid non-profit public interest internship/externship or pro bono work required for graduation, except as stated below.*
“Academic Purposes” do not include research conducted for a law firm, corporation or other entity (unrelated to law school) that is paying you to conduct said research or that is passing along the costs of said research to a third party. These are deemed commercial purposes.
Non-Academic Purposes is strictly prohibited. Personal use, practice and preparation for the bar exam are not educational purposes and are not valid reasons for extending a password.
Alternatives if you don’t Qualify
Note that law students have summer access to other legal research alternatives, including Fastcase and LoisLaw. If you have questions about extending your Lexis and Westlaw access, or about registering for these low-cost research alternatives, ask a Reference Librarian.
Passwords not extended for the summer will have limited access as of June 1.