Posted By Tove Klovning on March 21, 2012
As of March 16th, 2012 the migration from GPO Access to FDsys GPO’s Federal Digital system is finally complete. From now on all official and authenticated US federal government information will be centrally located at this web site.
Updating a federal regulation has never been easier thanks to FDsys. For example, you can consult the digital List of Parts Effected to learn whether a change has been made to a federal regulation since annual edition of the Code of Federal Regulations was last published. You can also update the regulation by searching the .pdf List of Sections publication by using the Advance Search feature in FDsys. In addition, you can also search the digital Federal Register in FDsys, or consult the FederalRegister.gov website for potential updates. The Federal Register.gov website is jointly administered by The Office of the Federal Register (FR) of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), and the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO).
All CFR volumes are issued each year in sets on a staggered, quarterly basis: Titles 1– 6 are current through January 1, Titles 17 – 27 are current through April 1, Titles 29 – 41 are current through July 1, Titles 42 – 50 are current through October 1.
We prefer consulting the List of Parts Affected option in FDsys. Just ‘Choose Date Range’ in the pull down menu. Enter the date when your title was last updated in the Annual Code of Federal Regulations and today’s date. This search will link to the Federal Register page whenever a change has been made to your Title and Part since the Annual Code of Regulations was last updated.
To update your regulation using the ‘Browse CFR Parts Affected from the ‘advanced feature’ of FDsys you will need to:
- Go the FDsys webpage.
- Click on ‘Browse Collection.’
- Click on ‘List of CFR Sections Affected.’
- Click on ‘Browse CFR Parts Affected from the Federal Register.’
- Use the pull down menu adjacent to ‘Browse by Date.’ Chose Date Range and click ‘Go.’
- You will have to fill in the date ranges you wish to search. Enter the date when your title was last updated in the Annual Code of Federal Regulations and today’s date. Click ‘Go.’
- At this point you will see a screen listing all the titles of the CFR with a + sign next to each title. Click on the plus sign until you see the part you are attempting to update. If it has been updated, you will see a link to the Federal Register.
To update your regulation using the digital List of CFR Sections Affected from the “ Advance Search feature’ of FDsys you will need to:
- Go to the FDsys webpage.
- Click on ‘Advance Search’
- From ‘Available Collections,’ select List of CFR Sections Affected and click on ‘Add.’
- From ‘Search in’, use the pull down menu to select ‘Title Number.’
- Enter the CFR title you are attempting to update.
- Click on ‘Add more search criteria.’ This opens a second search box with a default search in ‘Full-Text of Publications and Metadata, enter the part number you are attempting to update and click ‘Search.’
- The default for search results is ‘Relevance.’ You may wish to change the sort criteria to ‘Date (New to Old).
These options are free of charge! The choice is yours.
Mark Kloempken and Tove Klovning