Calendar of Events
The following list of events has been scheduled. Dates, times, and locations of events will be announced as quickly as possible.
Please check the Law Weekly and the Whitney R. Harris World Law Institute's website for updates.
Tuesdays at Noon
Language at Lunch Program
12:00 PM, Detjen Seminar Room, Seigle Hall 108E
Join the Harris Institute for Arabic, French, German, and Spanish conversation tables during the lunch hour. For specific dates and more information, click here.
Monday, February 22
The Tenth Annual William C. Jones Lecture
4:30-5:30 PM, Anheuser Busch Hall
H.E. Judge Liu Daqun, Judge of the Appeals Chamber, International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
Reception immediately following lecture. Co-sponsored by the Program in East Asian Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences
Tuesday, March 28
Tentative, Anheuser Busch Hall
Public Lecture by Firas Kayal, Senior Policy Advisor, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
Thursday, March 30
4:30-5:30 PM, Anheuser Busch Hall, Room 310, Bryan Cave Moot Courtroom
Public Lecture by Philippe Sands, international human rights lawyer and author of East West Street: On The Origins of 'Genocide' and 'Crimes Against Humanity'
Book signing and reception immediately following lecture. Co-sponsored by Assembly Series, Public Interest Law & Policy Speakers Series, and Washington University’s Global Studies Law Review.
Wednesday, April 5
12:00 PM, Anheuser Busch Hall
Public Lecture by David J. Gerber, Professor of Law and Co-Director of the Program in International and Comparative Law, Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
Monday, April 10
12:00 PM, Anheuser Busch Hall
Public Lecture and book signing by Professor Gonçalo Matias, Vice Dean of the Catolica Global School of Law and legal advisor to the President of the Portuguese Republic; author of Citizenship as a Human Right - The Fundamental Right to a Specific Citizenship
- ICC-ASP Side Event on the Progress in Drafting a Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of Crimes Against Humanity
- Workshop on the Drafting of a Crimes Against Humanity Convention
- International Criminal Law: A View from the Trenches - The Accidental Jurist - Brenda Hollis, Former Chief Prosecutor of Special Court for Sierra Leone
- Screening of Nuremberg: Its Lesson for Today with Sandra Schulberg
- The IMT at Nuremberg: A Lasting Legacy for the Future (International Humanitarian Law Dialogs) The 10th Anniversary of the International Humanitarian Law Dialogs will be held in Nuremberg, Germany to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials!
- Scapegoats: How Islamophobia Helps Our Enemies & Threatens Our Freedom - Rabbi Isserman Lecture by Arsalan Iftikhar, AB '99, JD '03.
- Washington University Climate Change Negotiations - The second annual Washington University Climate Change Negotiations.
- Screening of Never Again: Forging a Convention for Crimes Against Humanity
CFR Academic Conference Calls:
- Political Corruption and Instability in Brazil (CFR Academic Conference Call) Speaker: Matthew M. Taylor,Adjunct Senior Fellow for Latin America Studies, CFR; Associate Professor, School of International Service, American University
- Foreign Policy in Campaign 2016 (CFR Academic Conference Call) - Speaker: James M. Lindsay, Senior Vice President, Director of Studies, and Maurice R. Greenberg Chair, CFR
- U.S.-Russia Relations (CFR Academic Conference Call) Speaker: Angela E. Stent, Director of the Center for Eurasian, Russian and East European Studies and Professor of Government and Foreign Service, Georgetown University
- The Future of U.S. -Cuba Relations (CFR Academic Conference Call) - Speaker: Susan Kaufman Purcell, Former Director of the Center for Hemispheric Policy, University of Miami
- What's Fair: Street Art, Appropriation Art, and the Law - Kevin Ray
- Building Hope and Moving Forward in Uganda - Dr. Frank Mugisha
- 9th Annual William C. Jones Lecture - Wen-Chen Chang
- Coffee and Conversation with Chantal Thomas
- See Something, Say Something: Post 9/11 National Security Profiling and Policies - Hina Shamsi
- Fireside Chat with Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Ambassador Louis B. Susman, JD '62.
- Red Cross International Humanitarian Law Workshop for Professionals
- International Experts' Meeting on the Illegal Use of Force: Reconceptualizing the Laws of War
- Building Capacity in India: The International Innovation Corps Model - Anup Malani
- In the Company of the Poor by Paul Farmer, Partners in Health more
- Prospects for an International Climate Change Agreement - Is it now or never? more
- 2015 CICL/LJ Symposium on Human Trafficking [more]
- International Dispute Resolution: Protecting Your Client In The Global Economy [more]
- No Fire Zone: The Killing Fields of Sri Lanka - Callum Macrae [more]
- 8th Annual William C. Jones Lecture Series - Curtis J. Milhaupt [more]
- LGBT Rights in International and Comparative Law: Progress and Contestation - Laurence (Larry) R. Helfer [more]
- Justice for Sergei film screening with Professor Walke [more]
- International Justice: Beginning of the End, or End of the Beginning? - Prosecutor Serge Brammertz [more]
- International Human Rights Law in Action: Lessons from the Field - Professor Stephanie Farrior [more]
- Global Perspectives on Colorism Conference more...
CFR Academic Conference Calls:
- U.S.–India Relations. Alyssa Ayres, Senior Fellow for India, Pakistan, and South Asia, Council on Foreign Relations
- The Future of Cybersecurity. Robert K. Knake, Whitney Shepardson Senior Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations
- Countering Transnational Threats. Michael R. Fenzel, 2015-2016 U.S. Army Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations
- The Role of the United Nations. Esther Brimmer, Adjunct Senior Fellow for International Institutions, Council on Foreign Relations
- International Trade Policy. Edward Alden, Bernard L. Schwartz Senior Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations
- Improving Humanitarian Aid, David Miliband, President and Chief Executive Officer, International Rescue Committee Religion and Global Affairs, Katherine Marshall, Senior Fellow, Berkley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs, Georgetown University
- The Future of the Arctic, Lawson W. Brigham, Distinguished Professor of Geography and Arctic Policy, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Peace Operations in Africa - Paul D. Williams, Associate Professor, George Washington University
- Lessons from Iraq and Afghanistan: Facing Future Defense Challenges, Speaker: Janine Davidson, Senior Fellow for Defense Policy, Council on Foreign Relations
- U.S. Counterterrorism Policy, Speaker, Audrey Kurth Cronin, Distinguished Service Professor, George Mason University School
of Public Policy. See more.
- International Efforts to Combat Climate Change - Michael A. Levi, CFR Senior Fellow for Energy and the Environment and
Director of the Maurice R. Greenberg Center for Geo-economics Studies. See more.
- Security and Democratic Governance in Nigeria, Speaker, John Campbell, CFR Senior Fellow for Africa Policy Studies. See more.
- The Global Health Crisis of Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs), Speaker, Thomas J. Bollyky, CFR Senior Fellow for Global Health,
Economics, and Development. See more.
- 8th Annual International Humanitarian Law Dialogs [more]
- Legal Globalization and Efficiency: Towards Standardization or Jurisdiversity: Prof. Bertrand du Marais [more]
- Constitutional Implications of the Financial Crisis in Europe: Prof. Goncalo Matias [more]
- Fires, Fuel and the Fate of 3 Billion: The State of the Energy Impoverished: Gautam Yadama and Mark Katzman [more]
CFR Academic Conference Calls:
- The Future of Guantanamo Bay, Speaker, Matthew C. Waxman, CFR Adjunct Senior Fellow for Law and Foreign Policy. See more.
- NAFTA at Twenty, Speaker, Shannon K. O'Neil, CFR Senior Fellow for Latin America Studies and Director of the Civil Society,
Markets, and Democracy Program. See more.
- U.S. – China Relations, Speaker, Elizabeth Economy, CFR C.V. Starr Senior Fellow and Director for Asia Studies. See more.
- Implications of Drones on U.S. Foreign Policy, Speakers, Sarah Kreps, CFR's Stanton Nuclear Security Fellow, and an
associate professor of government at Cornell University and Micah Zenko, CFR's Douglas Dillion Fellow. See more.
- The Modern Challenges of International Law: Ambassador David Scheffer [more]
- William C. Jones Lecture: Professor Madeline Zelin [more]
- Rule of Law, Criminal Justice, and the U.S. in Afghanistan: Karen Hall, U.S. Department of State [more]
- Expert Meeting on "Fulfilling the Dictates of Public Conscience:
Moving Forward with a Convention on Crimes Against Humanity" [more]
- 7th International Humanitarian Law Dialogs [more]
- International Law Weekend (ILW) Midwest Conference [more]
- Challenges of Global Governance (Council on Foreign Relations Academic Conference
Call): Stewart M. Patrick
- 2013 World Peace Through Law Lecture: H.E. Sir Christopher Greenwood [more]
- Holocaust memorial Lecture Speaker: Sarah Wagner
"Srebrenica's Legacies of Loss and Remembrance" [more]
- American Grand Strategy(Council on Foreign Relations Academic Conference
Call): Richard N. Haass
- Roundtable on "Sebrenica's Legacies of Loss and Remembrance
- Seeds of Hope: Can the Women of Congo Dare to Dream of Peace and Justice:
Fiona Lloyd-Davies [more]