Whitney R. Harris World Law Institute


Through a combination of education and research, the Institute contributes to the betterment of global society. It does this by increasing global knowledge and understanding, promoting the rule of law, and addressing problems that require international cooperation and international solutions. 

The Institute enhances the intellectual vibrancy of the Law School and the University, provides advice and assistance to other University departments and transnational components of the Law School, and fosters collaboration among colleagues at home and abroad who are engaged in international or comparative work. 


Faculty Advisory Board 
International Council 

History of the Institute

The Harris Institute officially opened its doors in November 2000 as the Washington University School of Law “Institute for Global Legal Studies.” Stephen H. Legomsky, the John S. Lehmann University Professor and former Chief Counsel of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, served as its first director, and was succeeded by John O. Haley, the Wiley B. Rutledge Professor of Law in 2002.  In February 2002, the Institute was renamed to the “Harris Institute for Global Legal Studies” in honor and recognition of Whitney R. Harris’ lifelong achievements in the field of international justice, and his support of legal education and research.  In Fall 2007, Leila Nadya Sadat, the Henry H. Oberschelp Professor of Law, was named the Institute's third director and launched the Crimes Against Humanity Initiative in 2008.

With a focus on developing innovative global solutions to real-life problems, the Harris Institute has sponsored more than 100 speakers and held or co-sponsored more than 25 major international conferences since it opened.  It also housed the “Ambassador-in-Residence” program, as well as hosted debate series and several scholarship roundtables to discuss pressing issues in international law and policy.  In addition, programs like the Dagen-Legomsky Fellowships and the ICC Legal Tools Project provide future lawyers opportunities to gain valuable experience while pursuing their legal training. 

Whitney R. Harris (1912 –2010)

The namesake of the Institute, Whitney R. Harris, served as a trial counsel prosecuting the major German war criminals before the International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg, from August 1945 to the conclusion of the trial on October 1, 1946.  Mr. Harris kept the Nuremberg dream alive through his writings and his advocacy, and later through his philanthropic generosity.  In 2001, he endowed the Institute for Global Legal Studies at the Washington University School of Law.  In 2008 he and Anna Harris endowed the Institute’s “World Peace Through Law Award” at a ceremony during which the Harris Institute’s name was changed to the “Whitney R. Harris World Law Institute” the name it bears today. He was the last surviving prosecutor on Justice Robert Jackson’s team. To view his memorial page, click [here].

The Institute is grateful to the generous donations of our financial supporters and institutional and strategic partners.  

Leila Nadya Sadat, Director of the Whitney R. Harris World Law Institute and James Carr Professor of International Criminal Law    
Office: Anheuser-Busch Hall, Room 564
Phone: (314) 935-6411
Email: sadat@wustl.edu

Bethel Mulugeta Mandefro, Program Coordinator and Office Manager
Office: Seigle Hall, No. 108B
Phone: 314-935-7988
Fax: 314-935-7961
E-mail: bmandefro@wustl.edu 

QUICK LINKS: Staff and Leadership |  Calendar of Events | Past Events and Photos | Programs |  Jobs and Internships | 
Lex Lata, Lex Ferenda Blog