Information for Students
This page provides an outline of all of the steps that graduating students need to take before Commencement, on Commencement Day, and after Commencement, as you prepare to leave Washington University School of Law. Please bookmark this page and check back periodically for any updates. This information is subject to change before May 16, 2014.
PREPARING FOR COMMENCEMENT
All Graduates Planning to Walk in Commencement MUST:
COMPLETE REGALIA ORDER and COMMENCEMENT RSVP FORM - Deadline May 2, 2014
All students who plan to walk in the Commencement Ceremonies in May will need to complete the electronic
Regalia Order and Commencement RSVP Form. [Order and RSVP online]
- Your regalia must be ordered using the form listed above, do not order regalia directly from the Campus Book Store.
PLAN TO ATTEND A MANDATORY TRAINING SESSION
All graduating students are required to attend a mandatory training session. There are three training sessions; you may attend any one you choose as best fits your schedule. As this is a mandatory training, please ensure you attend at least one of the following trainings, which will all be held in Anheuser-Busch Hall, Bryan Cave Moot Courtroom, No. 310:
- Friday, April 18, 1:00pm-2:00pm
- Friday, April 25, 1:00pm-2:00pm
- Friday, May 2, 1:00pm-2:00pm
If you have any questions or unable to attend any of the training sessions,
contact Jeanetta Nixon | Events Department | email@example.com | 314.935.6551
All Graduates MAY:
- Order Commencement Announcements - If we missed you “in line,” just go “online”! Announcements, diploma frames, class rings, and other commencement material can also be ordered online, at Jostens.com/college—or call 1-800-854-7464. [view flyer]
- Complete HomeTown News Release Information - The Office of Public Affairs would like to share news of your degree with your hometown paper.
- Graduate Planning Guide 2014 (Commencement & Recognition Ceremonies)
- Dean Keating's Commencement Letter
- Calendar of Commencement Events
- Graduate Student Information
- University Commencement Site 2014
- MyLaw - Commencement 2014
WHAT TO KNOW AND WHERE TO BE ON COMMENCEMENT DAY - MAY 16, 2014
Schedule of Events
- Law School Photo: gather at 7:40 a.m. for photo at 8 a.m. sharp
J.D. Class of 2014 and LL.M. Class of 2014 will meet on the east side of Olin Library.
All graduates must be in regalia. (carry your hat)
- University Assembly: 8:10 a.m. after photo (Olin Library - east side)
Procession Order & Assembly Points (University Ceremony)
- University Ceremony: 8:30 a.m. (Law students will be acknowledged as a school.)
All Law School graduates are expected to attend the University Ceremony. In this ceremony, Law School graduates are invited to stand and be recognized as a class.
The student divisions will follow the procession leaders according to the order shown on the Procession Order & Assembly Points Chart. Candidates should march in front of or behind the person with whom they wish to sit – not side by side (see seating chart).
- University Recession: All graduates will recess from the Quadrangle under the direction of the Commencement Marshals. Law Graduates are to proceed immediately to the law school to line up for the Law School Ceremony.
- Conclusion of University Ceremony and Law Recognition Line-up: 10:45 a.m. (approx.) (immediately after University Ceremony, outside Seigle Hall, east side)
- Law Recognition Processional: 11:15 a.m. (approx.) (Mudd Field)
- Law Recognition Ceremony: 11:30 a.m. (approx.)
- Law Recognition Reception: 12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. (Anheuser-Busch Hall, Crowder Courtyard) You will find an array of appetizers and drinks (beer, wine, soda, water) to celebrate this momentous occasion with family and friends. Pick up Diploma in the Law Library during the reception.
Cap and Gown Etiquette
- Candidates receiving graduate degrees should wear tassels on the left for the entire ceremony and carry the hood over their arm prior to the conferral of degrees, then hood one another when asked to do so by their dean.
- Caps are removed for the singing of "America the Beautiful."
- Parking Map - As parking is very limited on Commencement day, it is recommended that students and guests arrive early and park in the main lots east of Brookings Hall, in the Danforth University Center Garage, or in the Millbrook Garage. Shuttle services will be available beginning at 7:00 a.m. and will run continuously throughout the morning to pick up and return students and guests.
- MetroLink - please consider using the MetroLink as parking will be very limited.
- Special Needs Parking - The university provides designated parking areas for those who are mobility-impaired across campus on Commencement day. However, because of the tremendous demand on university Parking Services’ resources, neither the university nor the Law School can meet individual requests from those with special parking needs. One option for families wishing to attend the Law School ceremony is to drop off guests with special needs in the circle off Snow Way outside the first floor of Anheuser-Busch Hall. Guests can then travel by elevator to the third floor, which provides access to Mudd Field. Please note that someone must stay with the vehicle at all times. After dropping-off guests, the vehicle must be relocated quickly to long-term parking. The closest handicapped parking for the law school will be the top level of Snow Way Garage, located just west of Anheuser-Busch Hall. The university does provide limited golf cart service from designated handicapped parking areas like the Snow Way Garage that day. While it is not possible to dedicate golf carts to individual schools, including the Law School, golf carts will also be available to transport individuals to Mudd Field and to a University stop if they wish to travel to the main ceremony. Unfortunately, golf carts are not able to pick passengers up after the university ceremony. As a result, it is best for families of those with special needs to provide their own transportation on Commencement day. Thirty wheelchairs are available for use at university Commencement and school ceremonies. They may be reserved by calling Rosetta Saputo, 314-935-5669.
- Family and Guests - Information to help your family and guests
- Photography - Please note that individual pictures of each student at each of the school recognition ceremonies will be available from professional photographers.
- Law School Commencement Program (The program will be posted in May 2014.)
- Special Needs Seating and Access - Information for those needing accommodations ahead of time for any guests or family members with special needs
- Severe Weather Plan - Review the plan in case of extreme weather on the day of commencement.
Commencement Water Bottle Notice
- In observance of the Washington University commitment to decreasing the amount of bottled water on campus, we will not be placing bottles of water on chairs for Commencement. We will have limited amounts of bottled water available for our guests from around the world who may not be aware of our commitment to decreasing bottled water usage. Please consider bringing your own bottle of water if you feel you need it.
- May 16, 2014
Return regalia to the Gargoyle (lower level of Mallinckrodt Center). An additional site will be available for returns near the Washington University Olin Business School.
- May 17-18, 2014
Return regalia to the Danforth Campus Bookstore in Mallinckrodt Center. For more information, please contact the Bookstore's General Merchandise Department at (314) 935-5606 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for more information.
- Diplomas will be available on the 4th floor northwest section of the Law Library during the reception.
- If a graduate is unable to attend Commencement, his or her diploma will be held for pickup until TBA, at:
Office of Student Records | Olin Women's Building | Room 50, lower level
(314) 935-5959 | Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30a.m. - 5:00p.m.
- Diplomas not picked up will be mailed to the address listed on the student's intent to graduate form.
- How to order photos
- Photo Galleries of Commencement Activities (posted when available)
- Academic Excellence Awards
- Public Service Awards
- Commencement Activities 2014
- Commencement 2014
Jeanetta Nixon | Events Department | email@example.com | 314.935.6551