Information for Students
2013 December Ceremony
The Chancellor's Recognition Ceremony for December 2013 Degree Candidates
Saturday, December 7, 2013 | Graham Chapel | 1:30 p.m.
Click here for more information.
This page provides an outline of all of the steps that graduating students need to take before Commencement, on Commencement Day, and after Commencement, as you prepare to leave Washington University School of Law. Please bookmark this page and check back periodically for any updates, this information is subject to change before May 16, 2014.
PREPARING FOR COMMENCEMENT
All Graduates Planning to Walk in Commencement MUST:
- COMPLETE REGALIA ORDER and COMMENCEMENT RSVP FORM
All students who plan to walk in the Commencement Ceremonies in May will need to complete an the electronic
Regalia Order and Commencement RSVP Form. The form will be available in January 2014.
- PLAN TO ATTEND A MANDATORY TRAINING SESSION - All graduating students are required to attend a mandatory training session. The dates and times will be posted when available.
Contact Jeanne Heil-Chapdelaine, Events and Scheduling Manager, by email - email@example.com or by phone - (314) 935-7567 if you will be unable to attend any of the training sessions.
All Graduates MAY:
- Order Commencement Announcements - If we missed you “in line,” just go “online”! Announcements, diploma frames, class rings, and other commencement material can also be ordered online, at Jostens.com/college—or call 1-800-854-7464.
- Complete HomeTown News Release Information - The Office of Public Affairs would like to share news of your degree with your hometown paper.
- Graduate Planning Guide 2014 (Commencement & Recognition Ceremonies)
- Important News & Information for Graduate Students 2014
- University Commencement Site 2014
- MyLaw - Commencement 2014
WHAT TO KNOW AND WHERE TO BE ON COMMENCEMENT DAY - MAY 16, 2014
Schedule of Events
- Law School Photo: gather at 7:40 a.m.
J.D. Class of 2014 and LL.M. Class of 2014 will meet on the east side of Olin Library.
All graduates must be in regalia. (carry your hat)
- University Assembly: 8:10 a.m. (Olin Library - east side)
Procession Order & Assembly Points (University Ceremony)
Seating Chart with Line of Procession (University Ceremony)
- University Procession: 8:30 a.m. (Law students will be acknowledged as a school.)
All Law School graduates are expected to attend the University Ceremony. In this ceremony, Law School graduates are invited to stand and be recognized as a class.
The student divisions will follow the procession leaders according to the order shown on the Procession Order & Assembly Points Chart. Candidates should march in front of or behind the person with whom they wish to sit – not side by side (see seating chart).
- University Recession: All graduates will recess from the Quadrangle under the direction of the Commencement Marshals. Law Graduates are to proceed immediately to the law school to line up for the Law School Ceremony.
- Law Recognition Line-up: 10:45 a.m. (approx.) (immediately after University Ceremony, outside Seigle Hall, east side)
- Law Recognition Processional: 11:00 a.m. (approx.) (Mudd Field)
- Law Recognition Ceremony: 11:15 a.m. (approx.) (Law students will receive diplomas.)
- Law Recognition Reception: 12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. (Anheuser-Busch Hall, Crowder Courtyard) You will find an array of appetizers and drinks (beer, wine, soda, water) to celebrate this momentous occasion with family and friends.
Cap and Gown Etiquette
- Candidates receiving graduate degrees should wear tassels on the left for the entire ceremony and carry the hood over their arm prior to the conferral of degrees, then hood one another when asked to do so by their dean.
- Caps are removed for the singing of "America the Beautiful."
- Parking Map - As parking is very limited on Commencement day, it is recommended that students and guests arrive early and park in the main lots east of Brookings Hall, in the Danforth University Center Garage, or in the Millbrook Garage. Where shuttle services will be available beginning at 7:00 a.m. and will run continuously throughout the morning to pick up and return students and guests.
- MetroLink - please consider using the MetroLink as parking will be very limited.
- Family and Guests - Information to help your family and guests
- Photography - Please note that individual pictures of each student at each of the school recognition ceremonies will be available from professional photographers.
- Law School Commencement Program (The program will be posted in May 2013.)
- Special Needs Seating and Access - Information for those needing accommodations ahead of time for any guests or family members with special needs
- Severe Weather Plan - Review the plan in case of extreme weather on the day of commencement.
Commencement Water Bottle Notice
- In observance of the Washington University commitment to decreasing the amount of bottled water on campus, we will not be placing bottles of water on chairs for Commencement. We will have limited amounts of bottled water available for our guests from around the world who may not be aware of our commitment to decreasing bottled water usage. Please consider bringing your own bottle of water if you feel you need it.
- May 16, 2014
Return regalia to the Gargoyle (lower level of Mallinckrodt Center). An additional site will be available for returns near the Washington University Olin Business School.
- May 17-18, 2014
Return regalia to the Danforth Campus Bookstore in Mallinckrodt Center. For more information, please contact the Bookstore's General Merchandise Department at (314) 935-5606 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for more information.
- Diplomas will be distributed at Individual Recognition Ceremonies.
- If a graduate is unable to attend Commencement, his or her diploma will be held for pickup until June 3, 2013, at:
Office of Student Records | Olin Women's Building | Room 50, lower level
(314) 935-5959 | Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30a.m. - 5:00p.m.
- Diplomas not picked up by June 3, 2013, will be mailed to the address listed on the student's intent to graduate form. more...
- How to order photos
- Photo Galleries of Commencement Activities (posted when available)
- Academic Excellence Awards
- Public Service Awards
- Commencement Activities 2014
- Commencement 2014
Events and Scheduling Manager
by email - email@example.com
by phone - (314) 935-7567