WashULaw Hosts 12th Annual Midwest LGBTQ Law Conference
Highlights of the weekend included:
- An awards ceremony honoring WashULaw’s OUTLaw founders Kim Blankenship, JD ’92, Jay Fisk, JD ’93, John Lapham, JD/MBA ’94, Julia Weber, AB’89, JD/MSW ’94, and Sheila Pont, JD/MSW ’94.
- A keynote address by Chai Feldblum, Commissioner of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, who spoke on “Protecting LGBTQ+ Progress in Challenging Times.”
- A panel discussion titled “Civil Rights at Risk” with Professors Susan Appleton, Adrienne Davis, Pauline Kim, Greg Magarian, and Karen Tokarz.
- A presentation from Raffi Freedman-Gurspan, former outreach and recruitment director for presidential personnel and associate director for public engagement for President Barack Obama. She served as the White House’s LGBT community liaison.
- A roundtable discussion of consequences of repealing the Affordable Care Act with a panel that included Professors Sidney Watson and Fred Rottnek of Saint Louis University, and WashULaw’s Elizabeth Sepper.
The weekend also included a progressive advocacy coalition panel, a networking reception, and a workshop on legal name changes and document updating.