The early residents of Carondelet were mainly French. In the city's first century, few black residents are listed in the census records. After the Civil War the population grew in response to the employment needs of the many nearby riverfront industries. By 1880 the number of black residents had risen to 450. The population would continue to grow until the 1920s when a downward trend began.
Colored School No. 6, built in 1873 at Virginia Avenue and Bowen Street, provided public education for African American students in the Carondelet area. In the 1890s it was renamed the Martin R. Delaney School after a black surgeon of the Civil War. However, because of segregation, most students left the area to attend other schools in central or north St. Louis. The Delaney School was closed after segregation ended in 1954.
The black residents of Carondelet were not generally concentrated in any one area. Their anchors in the community were the churches.
38. Corinthian Baptist Church 6326 Colorado AvenueThe congregation of the Corinthian Baptist Church is composed of people from throughout the metropolitan area. The congregation has its roots in the 1870s. After several temporary locations, the congregation built a new church on Colorado Avenue in 1950.
39. Quinn Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church 225 Bowen StreetThe congregation of the Quinn Chapel was formed in the 1870s as the Carondelet African Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1880 the church purchased this building from the City of St. Louis. The building had been erected in 1869 as the North Public Market for the city of Carondelet but was never occupied. In 1882, the chapel was dedicated to William Paul Quinn, the first missionary bishop of the AME Church who established St. Paul AME Church in St. Louis in 1841.
The chapel has served its congregation for over one hundred years. In 1974, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.