Named for Benjamin Banneker (1731-1804), a scientist, astronomer, and inventor who constructed the first clock in America. he also helped lay out the streets of Washington, D.C.
Named for George Washington Carver (1860-1943), famed scientist, educator, and inventor. He made over three hundred derivative products from the peanut, and 118 derivative products from the sweet potato.
Named for Richard Hill Cole (1855-1927), a teacher in the St. Louis Public School system for fifty years. He also served as principal at Simmons School.
Cook Elementary School
5935 Horton Place
Named for the Reverend James Edward Cook (1900-1961), pastor of Antioch Baptist Church and for many years executive secretary of the Pine Street YMCA. He was the force behind the "Y Circus" (1934-1955).
Named to honor two brothers, Thomas Austin Curtis (1862-1943) and William Parrish Curtis (1866-1945). Thomas was a pioneer black St. Louis dentist who was also the first black president of the St. Louis Branch of the NAACP. William was a pioneer black St. Louis physician who helped organize the St. Louis chapter of the Urban League.
Named for Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872-1906), a poet, novelist and short-story writer who was probably most famous for his use of black dialect in formal poetry.
Named for the Honorable John Mercer Langston (1829-1897) and Arthur Dessalines Langston (1855-1908), a father and son pair. John, the father, was an attorney and U.S. congressman who organized the law school at and served as acting president of Howard University.
Toussaint-L'Ouverture (1743-1803) was a Haitian patriot who led a
successful 1793 revolt against the French. Born in 1743, he died in
1803 in a French prison after being captured and imprisoned on the
orders of Napoléon [Bonaparte].
[Electronic editor's note: Some biographical sources give L'Ouverture's original name as François-Dominique Toussaint. Others give the general's full surname as Toussaint-Louverture.] Taylor
Named for two brothers, Joseph Everett Mitchell (1876-1952) and William Mitchell (1878-1945), founders and publishers of the St. Louis Argus. Joseph was a veteran of the Spanish-American War. He and William were both active supporters of the Pine Street YMCA, the NAACP, and the Urban League.
Named for Sumner High School graduate Captain Wendell Oliver Pruitt (1920-1945), a World War II flying ace (European Theater). He was killed in 1945 in a plane crash while training new pilots at Tuskegee Air Force Base in Alabama.
Named for William Johnson Simmons (1849-1890), Baptist clergyman and educator, who also served as president of the American National Baptist Convention.
Named for the Reverend George E. Stevens (1861-1941), pastor of the Central Baptist Church for 34 years. he was a determined advocate of integrated schools and an equally determined opponent of Jim Crow laws.
Named for Dr. Charles Henry Turner (1867-1923), a scientist and educator who taught at Sumner Teachers College (later named Stowe and then Harris-Stowe State College) from 1908 to 1923. He was the first black to receive a doctoral degree from the University of Chicago in 1907.
Named for George B. Vashon (1824-1878) and John B. Vashon (1859-1924), another father-son pair. George, the father, was a college professor, attorney, and talented linguist. He was the first black to graduate from Oberlin College in Ohio. His son, John, was a teacher and principal in the St. Louis Public Schools for 34 years.
Named for Oscar Minor Waring (1837-1911), a lawyer and teacher who became the first black principal of Sumner High School in 1879. Waring was a gifted linguist who spoke fluent German, Latin, French, Spanish, and Italian.
Named in honor of Frank Lunsford Williams (1865-1953), a Sumner High School principal. He also served as a member of the Lincoln University Board of Curators and as a member of the Pine Street YMCA Board of Managers.