Named for James Thomas (Cool Papa) Bell, a legendary center fielder in
the old Negro Baseball League in which he played from 1922 to 1950.
James Cool Papa Bell Avenue runs between Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Drive and Jefferson Avenue on what used to be called Dixon Street.
Named for the former head of the Music Department at Sumner High School,
founder of the Legend Singers and director of music in the St. Louis
Public Schools. The street runs just west of Sumner High School on a
section of what formerly was Pendleton, extending from Kennerly on the
north to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive on the South.
This street runs between 18th Street and Selby Street and is located
near and runs parallel to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. It is
named in honor of the famous scientist, educator, and inventor, George
Washington Carver [c.1864-1943], who developed more than 300
derivative products from peanuts and 118 products from sweet potatoes.
When Spring Avenue was realigned for construction of the Cochran
Veterans Hospital, a small remainder of the street was named West Spring
Avenue. In 1973 it was renamed in honor of black comedian Redd Foxx
[1922-1991], a native St. Louisan.
Named for Richard (Dick) Gregory, comedian, author, and civil rights
activist who was born in St. Louis in 1932. Dick Gregory Place runs
between Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive and North Market Street.
Hayes Lane runs between Greer Street and Tyus Court on what used to be
called East Norwood Drive. It was named for Bob Hayes, the one-time
"world's fastest human," a double-gold-medal Olympian and standout
Dallas Cowboys wide receiver.
Named in honor of Thomas Elliott Huntley, a Baptist clergyman who was
pastor of the Central Baptist Church from 1942 to 1983, T.E. Huntley
Street runs between Olive Street and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
on what used to be Ewing Street.
In 1972 Easton Avenue and part of Franklin Avenue were renamed Dr.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive to honor the Baptist clergyman and civil
rights activist who was slain in 1968.
Honors the black woman who founded Poro College, using profits from her
beauty products business. Located on a former section of Pendleton,
Annie Malone Drive runs between Sumner High School to the west and the
now-closed Homer G. Phillips Hospital to the east.
The mall which bears Ruth Porter's name is located at Delmar Boulevard
and DeBaliviere Avenue. It is named to honor a tireless crusader for
fair housing laws. Ruth Porter was at one time director of the Kinloch
YMCA and a founder and first executive secretary of the Greater St.
Louis Committee for Freedom of Residence.
West End Avenue between Newberry Terrace and Page Boulevard was renamed
Rev. G.H. Pruitt Place to honor this Baptist clergyman who was for many
years pastor at Pleasant Green Baptist Church. He was first appointed
pastor there in 1939.
Named in honor of the educator and leading advocate of the compensatory
education movement. Long-time superintendent of Banneker District
Schools, he was named superintendent of schools for East Chicago,
Illinois, in 1976. Samuel Shepard Drive runs between Jefferson Street
and Grand Avenue on what used to be part of Lucas Street.
Tyus Court runs between Norwood Street and Kingshighway Boulevard. It
is named in honor of Leroy Tyus, a one-time Missouri state
representative and Airport Commission member. Mr. Tyus also served as
20th-Ward committeeman for 23 years.