Curricular Practical Training (CPT): Externships

Updated August 2017 

Students in the United States on an F-1 Visa who register for a Law School externship course are required to submit a Curricular Practical Training authorization form to the University’s Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) prior to beginning their field placement. The CPT authorization form can be found here.

The Law School’s externships are: Congressional and Administrative Law Externship; Corporate Judicial Externship; Government Lawyering Externship; International Justice and Conflict Resolution Externship; Lawyering Practice Externship (LPE); New York Regulatory and Business Externship; Patent Law Externship; and Semester-in-Practice Externship.

Students must complete the course requirements and earn academic credits for any externship they take as otherwise their employment authorization could be retroactively put into question with the INS. Students should turn in their CPT authorization form to the tray on the counter in the Law School’s Registrar’s Office (Anheuser-Busch Hall, Room 303, Linda Coffin: 935-4610, Once approved by the Registrar, students must pick up the form and then submit it to OISS.

General information about CPT (and OPT or Optional Practical Training) for students on an F-1 Visa can be found on OISS’s website at All visa questions should be directed to the OISS.