Slide 9 of 32
- Inventory: Except for the exceptions just noted, if the library owns it, a record of it is in the catalog.
- Look at the Online Catalog as a very valuable resource: a lot of manpower has gone into creating the database. It takes a skilled professional to create these records.
- Precise descriptions
- If you ever shelf checked for Journal or Quarterly you know the value of being able to find the 1923 edition of a work, or the 1972 translation from the French by smith rather than the 1997 translation by Jones.
- Standardized Subject Headings
- LC Subject Headings
- eliminates the problem of synonyms (missing items that use terms you have not thought of)
- (tip: use a keyword search to find a few good things, then use their subject headings to find more like them)
- Integrated System: tells you not only that we own the title, but what updates or issues we have received and whether or not it has been checked out.